Crock Pot Time!
So I am a huge crock pot fan, they are the best invention since sliced bread! I love mine and use it at least 3 times a week during the fall and winter. My only complaint is having to clean it, yes I know they have crock pot liners for easy clean up but I am just to cheap to buy them. Plus my dishwasher gets it clean 90% of the time. So be prepared to start seeing many more crock pot recipes ahead! The key to it is thinking ahead and even preparing them ahead! This gem I found on pintrest! Yes, I have a problem, and no I have no plans to change anytime soon! If you are looking for good ideas make sure to check out all my boards! Anyways…. This comes to us from Cooking Classy. You can make this in the crock pot of the oven, the choose is yours.
Now when you see the ingredient list I know what you are going to be thinking, oh my this looks like a lot and a lot of work! Well it isn’t, simply take your time to read through everything and it will turn out wonderfully! This recipe is amazing for when you don’t have enough noodles to make a whole lasagna which was my case! No I am never prepared for what I wish to cook.
Lasagna Rolls Take 1!
So cooking Classy does hers in the oven, but I didn’t want to prepare it last minute so I threw mine in the crock pot! I love changing recipes around to fit my every need. So, lets get cooking! First start cooking your lasagna noodles on the stove top according to the box. While that is going make sure to brown the hamburger in a skillet. You will need about 12 noodles, and 8 oz of ground beef. See this isn’t that hard now is it! Okay, now add the chopped onion to the beef, 1/4 cup. Allow the onion to soften, now drain the fat off the meat.
Add some chopped tomatoes 1 can or chop up 2 medium fresh ones. Add 3 garlic cloves finely chopped, 2 tsp dried basil, oregano 1/2 tsp, 1 TBS of olive oil and finish by salt and peppering to taste! See that isn’t that bad, but I do recommend that if you use fresh tomatoes that you open a can of sauce to throw in there as well, you will need about half the can, this will help keep everything nice and moist! I made that mistake the first time. But the little bit of sauce makes the world of difference, it will go from dry to wonderful! Allow everything to simmer together on the stove while you simply put together the cheese mixture!
So I use 2 Cups cottage cheese, mixed with 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese. Simply because this is what I had on hand at the time, but feel free to add different types of cheese, if you have a favorite lasagna cheese recipe use it! Salt and pepper the cheese mixture to taste. Now take the noodles and drain them and place on them on a cooking sheet. Put a layer of the meat down, followed by a layer of the cheese. Roll it up nicely and place in the crock pot! Make sure not to roll to tightly or everything will squish out the sides of them! Place the remaining cheese and meat on top of the rolls, with a final layer of shredded cheese on there! Cook on low for about 4-5 hours! Serve with a nice salad, garlic bread, or bread and butter! See that wasn’t to bad. It makes 12 servings.
- Ground Beef 8oz
- Chopped Onion 1/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes 1 (28oz) Can
- Chopped Garlic 3
- Dried Basil 2 tsp
- Dried Oregano 1/2 tsp
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 2 Cups Cottage Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Start cooking the lasagna noodles according to the box.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet, then add the chopped onion to the mix.
- Drain the beef once it has browned, placing back on the stove.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Allow this to simmer together while prepping the rest.
- Mix together the cottage cheese and the shredded cheese, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the noodles and lay out on a cooking sheet, place a layer of meat down followed by the cheese, roll the noodle up and place in the crock pot. Don't roll to tightly.
- Place remaining cheese and meat on top the rolls, and top with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Makes 12 servings.
- If you like it more moist than dry add half a can of tomato sauce to the meat mixture to help everything stay extra moist!